Special Anniversary Issue: Spring 2016 Newsletter Highlights
The Entire Print Version Of The Newsletter
A Monument of Love
say that anything that is not passed down for at least three
generations will be lost forever. This year, Boulware Mission
celebrates its 95th anniversary. Because many (okay, most) of us
were not around during its early years, we want to pass down soem of
the Mission's history. It's not 100% complete by any means, but
the Mission has meant so much to so many that we didn't want to miss
this opportunity to share the highlights with you.
Mission began as the dream of a 2nd grade teacher in the early 1920's.
Miss Milton Boulware took Christ's command to feed the poor and
shelter the homeless seriously and she devoted her entire life to
in her career, Miss Boulware's studies took her to Chicago, where she
worked alongside social work founder Jane Addams at the famous Hull
House. After returning to Owensboro and becoming a teacher, she
saw the need for a similar program in the neighborhood where she
taught. She wanted to provide a spiritual, moral, cultural and
religious influence in the infamous Potter's Corner, around 7th and
Hall Streets, which was noted for juvenile delinquency, drukenness and
Mitt", as she was lovingly called by her friends, collaborated with
Florence Pendleton, Prentice Farmer and Sarah Morrison, all teachers at
Franklin Schook, and with Erma Bartlett, Miss Mitt's sister and
attendance officer for the City Schools, and through the efforts of
these five women, the Gospel Center Mission was founded on May 23rd,
1921 as a settlement house and a place where neighborhood children
could be supervised and feel safe.
original Hall Street building was purchased and renovated at a cost of
$2,500, a small fortune at that time. $1,500 came from the
Christian Men's League and the rest throught contributions from
businesses and civic minded residents of Owensboro.
Mission had been in operation less than a year when nine businessmen
who had been supporting the project decided that it should be
incorporated and on April 11, 1922, the Gospel Center Mission was
recognized as a non-profit corporation.
To continue reading, please click here.